LYSL House Rules
The LYSL game rules include the following additions or exceptions to existing FIFA laws.
1. A game shall not be started or allowed to continue if lightning is visible. All teams and spectators are to leave the field immediately. Game may be delayed for 15 minutes after the last lightning strike. Longer than 15 minutes, the game will be called.
2. Game start times shall be strictly adhered to (the only exception is if a game was delayed because of lightning). If a team arrives late for a game, the length of the periods shall be adjusted by the referee so that the game ends on time so that the next scheduled game can begin on time.
3. In the event a team cannot field a full team, a game may be started. The opposing team should match the number of field players the short team is able to field (play equal). It is NOT acceptable to borrow players from other teams to field a full team.
4. Each player, regardless of ability, shall be afforded the opportunity to play for at least one-half the game.
5. There shall be no slide tackling (or kicking the ball while on the ground) allowed in any age group.
5a. Heading the ball is not permitted in U10 or younger.
6. On free kicks and corner kicks, the opponents must be the radius of the center circle away from the ball when kicked.
7. Shin guards, completely covered by socks, must be worn at all times during games and practices. Players' shirts must remain tucked in at all times.
8. No items of jewelry can be worn during games or practices. This includes watches, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and any hard plastic or metal items worn in the hair. Other items include non-prescription sunglasses and casts. The only exception will be allowed is earrings that cannot be removed for medical reasons due to a recent piercing. These earrings must be completely covered by tape. Use your best judgment when confronted with a new situation.
9. Spectators must be on the opposite side of the field as the two competing teams. They must remain at least 3 yards from the sideline and 20 yards from the goal lines. Absolutely no pets allowed at any field. All spectators must abide by all Liverpool School District rules and policies.
10. Each coach is allowed to coach from the sideline opposite from the spectators in the area between the penalty box and halfway line. Coaches are not allowed to coach on the field of play; the only exceptions are U8 coaches if agreeable to the U8 Director.
11. Players and coaches should shake hands after each game.
12. No alcoholic beverages allowed at the playing field. Coaches should not smoke during games or practices. No smoking by anyone is allowed on school property.
13. The use of foul, abusive or derogatory language by players, coaches, or spectators shall not be tolerated.
14. The league will not reschedule make-up games due to cancellation. If individual coaches wish to schedule a make-up game, they may do so. Contact the Referee Coordinator to have a referee assigned to the game.
15. Players are expected to follow all soccer rules of fairness and sportsmanship.
Coaches are expected to keep all players within the boundaries of fairness and sportsmanship.
Coaches are expected to keep themselves and their parents within the boundaries of fairness and sportsmanship.
16. Under 8 only:
Treat the game as an advanced form of instructional soccer. Offside, direct kicks, and penalty kicks are not part of their game. Heading the ball is not permitted.
All rules infractions should be briefly explained to the offending player by either the coach or referee. If a throw-in is improperly executed, the referee shall explain the proper method, and allow a second chance. If the second throw is also improper, the play continues.
Indirect kicks only
17. Under 10 only
NO Direct Kicks (All kicks will be indirect)
Exception- Penalty kicks are allowed for infractions inside the penalty area.
Heading the ball is not permitted. Indirect kick penalty.
When goalie gains control of ball in the penalty box, the opposing team must move behind the mid-field line until it is released. There is no punting permitted by the goalie.
18. Under 12/14 only
Direct and Indirect kicks are allowed at this level
Penalty kicks are allowed for infractions inside the penalty area
LYSL Game Rules for House Games
(The number of players on each side is also dependent on how many players attend the game. This can be adjusted to allow for playing time for each player. As long as the coaches agree, the number of players may be changed.)